Thursday, March 14, 2013

Celebrating My Family and Friends



Dad and I - 1992

I have read a lot about weight loss surgery (WLS) over the last year, both online and in books, and I am saddened to read how unsupportive many patient’s friends and family can be. 



Many people don’t understand how WLS works and view it as the “easy” way out, sort of a cop out for people who are don’t want to work at losing weight.  Of course, WLS is not a magic bullet, it is simply a tool.  I will still need to restrict my calories, eat the right foods, and work out regularly to get to my goal weight.  I will need to continue these habits for the rest of my life if I am to keep the weight off.  WLS will be a great help at first with restricting calories, but the rest is up to me (especially long term).



But people can be so cruel.  I’ve read quite a few stories from obese people about how perfect strangers would lecture them in supermarkets or shout insults at them.  Quite often their families treated them even worse.  I’m happy to say that I have not experienced this kind of treatment.  While I’m sure that plenty of folks had things to say about my weight behind my back, no one has ever been rude (or brave) enough to insult me to my face.  So I’ve been very fortunate in that area.



However, when I decided to have WLS, I admit that I wondered how people would react.  I debated whether or not I wanted to tell folks outside of my little circle that this was happening.  It didn’t take long for me to decide (obviously) that I was not going to hide what I’m doing.  I’m not proud of the fact that I’ve made it to the ranks of the morbidly obese, but I am proud that I’m ready and willing to do what it takes to regain my health.



I’m also pleased and so very proud to say that my friends, family, and coworkers have all been extremely supportive!  The most common response I’ve received when I say that I’m having WLS is “Good for you!”  I truly feel like the most fortunate of women to be surrounded by such loving and supportive people.  Thank you all for making this step so much easier for me.



I received a card yesterday from a friend and coworker who is VERY fit and who works out many hours a week.  Of all people, I would have thought that she would see WLS as a cop out, not because of anything she’s said but rather because she is so fit and dedicated to her health and well-being.   I was so wrong.  This is what the card said:



“What you are doing is very brave and shows your determination.  I have no doubt you will be successful…A favorite quote is: ‘Know what you want to do, hold the thought firmly, and do every day what should be done, and every sunset will see you that much nearer to your goal.'  I will be thinking of you.”

Mom and I - 1992


Yup, this brought tears to my eyes.



Thank you, all of you lovely people who are sending encouragement and help my way!  I truly am blessed and it is because of you.



Four days to go!



Hugs,

Sandra




2 comments:

  1. You have already proven that you can do this by what you have already done to get ready for your surgery. You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! This means a lot to me, especially since it comes from someone who I've always respected and admired. Love you!

      Delete