![]() |
| With my trainer in 1989 |
What will I eat?
Well, not much, to be honest.
I will have nothing but clear liquids (broth, unsweetened
juice) for the first few days after surgery.
This will be followed by two-three weeks of “thick liquids”:
protein shakes, pureed food, yogurt, etc.
Then I will spend a few weeks eating soft foods: well-cooked vegetables, ground meat, and soft
fruit. During this time, I should eat six ¼ cup meals a day
(although our Nutritionist told us that most people can’t eat this much).
After this, I will be able to start adding solid foods back
to my diet, bit by bit. At this point,
my meals should consist of ½ cup of food, four times a day. At each meal I am to eat my protein first,
then eat my vegetables, and only then eat other carbs.
- I will need to take a multivitamin every day for the rest of my life.
- Lean protein will be my most important nutrient (egg white, fish, soy, and chicken).
- No more than 6 grams of sugar (in all forms) per meal.
- Only 100% whole grain breads are allowed.
- No more than one serving of starchy vegetables each day (peas, potatoes, corn, and lima beans).
- I should have some non-fat or very low-fat dairy every day.
- No more than 6 grams of fat per meal and NO saturated fat, trans fat, or hydrogenated oils.
- I am to drink 64 oz. of water each day. (Remember, my stomach will now only hold 1-2 ounces at a time!)
Our nutritionist gave us some great tips for eating healthy –
even if you haven’t had surgery:
- Plan full menus, including sides, for the week; check your kitchen to see what you need to prepare these dishes; then buy only what you need and cook what you planned.
- Eat only 100% whole grain bread that has 4-5 grams of fiber per serving. (She recommends whole grain sandwich rounds.)
- Eat only whole grain breakfast cereal – it must have more fiber than sugar.
- Eat only white meat on chicken and remove any skin or fat before cooking.
- Pistachios are the lowest fat nuts available.
- Our nutritionist recommended Bolthouse Farms salad dressings, which are sold in the refrigerated section. These are low calorie dressings with very good flavor.
I’ll leave you with some words of wisdom from our nutritionist:
“You are trading these foods in exchange for your
life.”Sandra

No comments:
Post a Comment